Developers and General Contractors

We recognize that different projects and different financial structures in different jurisdictions will require different solutions. We have the expertise and markets to generate options. Whether that is a project specific General Liability policy for the developer, the GC, or both; or a more involved General Liability Wrap-Up through either an Owner Controlled Insurance Program (OCIP) or Contractor Controlled Insurance Program (CCIP). Then again, they may just need an Owner Contractor’s Protective (OCP), or the best solution may turn out to be an annual renewable practice policy or a rolling wrap up. We can help you determine what is best for your client, and put those best options in your hands.

Crane Rental

Crane rental has its own set of challenges. We have markets that specialize in this class and address the unique coverage needs including Over-The-Road coverage and Rigger’s Liability.

Artisan Contractors

Contractors today face challenges in not just having the proper coverage but also in meeting the insurance requirements handed down to them by the GCs they are working with through their Master Service Agreement (MSA). We have experience across multiple disciplines that will address all of these challenges, even in more difficult classes such as Residential, EIFS, and Industrial Work among many others. These are just a sampling of some of the contracting classes we write:

  • Plaster and Stucco (including EIFS)
  • Roofing
  • Foundation (new and repair)
  • Steel and Tower Erection
  • Utility
  • Plumbing
  • Framing
  • Demolition
  • Excavation
  • Environmental


Our nation is in the midst of an energy boom, and at Southwest Risk we have positioned ourselves with the markets and expertise to best assist our agency partners to help their clients through this growth. Coverage and form needs vary by territory, and we take the time to correctly address those varying concerns.
Whether your client is manufacturing products related to the energy sector, or operating as a contractor, Southwest Risk has significant relationships with the key insurance companies writing this business.

This is a sampling of the energy business we place:

  • Oil and Gas Contractors
    • Acidizing, Cementing, Cleaning, or Swabbing
    • Drilling or Re-Drilling (including Directional Drilling)
    • Installation or Recovery of Casing
    • Instrument Logging
    • Well Servicing
    • Rig Erection
    • Pipeline
    • Spooling
  • Manufacturing
  • Alternative Energy

Product Manufacturing and Distribution

Product manufacturing and distribution risks come with their own set of challenges that have to be met, along with varying levels of coverage need. Our experts work with our agency partners and carriers to craft the right combination of premium, coverage and deductible to best meet the needs of the insured. Our brokers find solutions, whether the insured has been loss free, or has suffered losses in previous years. This is a short list of challenging classes where Southwest Risk has worked out solutions for our agents:

  • Manufacturers and Distributors
  • Oil and Gas
  • Critical Components
  • Medical Devices
  • Foreign Manufactured

In addition, we have markets that can address specialized needs, such as Discontinued Products or Operations, as well as Product Recall.


There is a growing trend and need for environmental insurance products. With a growing recognition of varying pollutants, there are more frequent requests in MSAs and real estate contracts requiring pollution coverage.

At Southwest Risk, not only do we have the markets and expertise to provide complete coverage and terms for true Environmental Contractors, but we also have the ability to address any of the pollution requirements our agency partners may have to tackle on behalf of their clients. Those needs may include the following:

  • Contractors Pollution Liability
  • Site Pollution
  • Time Element and Products Pollution
  • Combined Forms, including Professional for Environmental Contractors

Real Estate OL&T

Southwest Risk was founded on an expertise in real estate business, especially with respect to apartment exposures. We have the markets and experience to place coverage for any apartment or condominium exposure, even if that exposure includes a variety of subsidized units, student housing, or active adult communities. Southwest Risk has placed schedules ranging from 50 units to 50,000 units. We can also structure a variety of attachment structures, whether it’s first dollar or a large SIR.

Our Real Estate experience expands into the hospitality sector, with placements of hotels, as well as bars and restaurants. This is an abbreviated sampling of accounts we can help with in this sector:

  • Apartments
    • Conventional
    • Student Housing
    • Subsidized Housing
  • Condominiums
  • Hotels and Motels
  • Shopping Center and Office LRO
  • Vacant
  • Restaurants (including Liquor Liability)
  • Bars, Taverns and Night Clubs (including Liquor Liability)


At Southwest Risk, we pride ourselves on providing wholesale risk solutions for our agency partners, consistently putting them in a position to win new business by specializing in the trucking / transportation industry.  We can provide comprehensive insurance services to short and long-haul trucking operations.  In addition to trucking operations, our portfolio now includes commercial auto for a variety of segments including dumps, mix in transit, petroleum haulers, and many other transportation businesses.

  • Local and Intermediate operations
  • Tow Operators
  • Waste Haulers
  • Saltwater haulers
  • Contractor’s fleets
  • Oil & Gas Contractors
  • Delivery Trucks
  • Sand & Gravel Haulers
  • Concrete Mix-In Transit
  • Trucking with maximum radius of 1,000 miles

Our specialties are:

  • Truckers
  • Non-trucking Liability
  • Physical Damage
  • Motor Truck Cargo
  • Commercial Automobile Liability
  • General Liability
  • Excess coverage

Information needed to produce a quote:

  • Complete ACORD application
  • Trucking supplemental may also be required
  • Drivers Schedule
  • Vehicle Schedule with class codes and stated amount for Physical Damage
  • 4 quarters of IFTA’s if it is a Trucker
  • at least 4 years of current Loss Runs